Yoga and Language Immersions on the Wild Coast of South Africa
UBuntu Bridge's quest to facilitate eco- and people conscious retreats, creating commUNITY, bridging gaps, and harmony in diversity!
Please note that this retreat is about learning Xhosa, and experiencing community in a different way. Any yoga, movement, or meditation classes are completely just an added option for participants, entirely optional and accessible for all levels! This is not a fancy yoga retreat! 😁
Watch the 2019 Video below:
“A totally unique experience! Yoga + isiXhosa + Great People + Beautiful Nature = YhoXhosa”
– Justin K, YhoXhosa participant 2019
What happens on a Yoga Xhosa retreat?
- Morning and evening voluntary group yoga / mindful movement sessions a day for people of all levels - fun and relaxed.
- Xhosa lessons each day, for beginners to intermediate, and beyond...
- Experienced Xhosa teachers for grammatical insights and breakthroughs
- Mother tongue tutors from the local communities, ensuring lots of spoken practice
- Fun and respectful group activities, empowering the local community and economy.
- Different accommodation options for varying budgets.
- Mix of Ayurvedic cuisine and Traditional Xhosa meals
- Stunning Coastal Hikes!
- Children welcome but with adult supervision.
- Enquire Now for more info - spaces limited!
Will your Xhosa improve?
Is it a valuable learning experience?
"Absolutely! The most valuable learning experience was that I just have to get over my anxieties and talk! I felt my Xhosa improved and I found many gaps that I wasn’t aware of" - Finn L, University of Cape Town Xhosa graduate 2020
"Yes, a huge amount! Since I have got back home I have had my usual interactions with security guards and shop assistants with a lot less effort and more content than before." - Sandy Todd, 2019 and 2020 participant
"Definitely! The last few days I have been more confident and I feel that isiXhosa is more within my reach" - Nadia Kamies, Writer
"Definitely yes and it's with gratitude that I received much from the teachers, tutors and fellow students" - Woon Peng
"Yes and yes, beyond expectation" - Renee O, High School Xhosa Teacher, 2019 and 2020 participant
“I learnt so much and had so much fun.” - Carla Mostert, YhoXhosa 2019 & 2020 participant
2020 Feedback Comments:
"A perfect combination of isiXhosa lessons, yoga, group community activities, and swimming and relaxation, along with a lovely group of people and in an idyllic setting." - Michael Evans
"I think that the approach of learning a little well is great - it feels within reach which is important when you are tackling a language like Xhosa. Also the content is relevant to every day so it is possible to go out and use it and thereby consolidate. And there is something special about the ethos that underlies the process - the sincerity to build bridges and move towards transformation." - Nadia Kamies, Writer
"It’s an unforgettable experience with amazing teachers, activities and opportunities to learn and speak isiXhosa. So grateful to have been a part of this trip!" - Finn L, university Xhosa graduate 2020
"I learnt the same amount of Xhosa in a week than I did in a year at University. I learnt so much from the like-minded people on the course." - Bielle Bellingham
- YhoXhosa 2021 Dates -
* Limited places
- 2019 & 2020 were FULLY BOOKED
- apply early*
- 02 - 10 April 2021 - Easter Retreat @Bulungula - Apply NOW
- 5 - 13 June 2021 - Winter Retreat @Bulungula - Apply NOW
- 20 - 27 June 2021 - Horse-riding Cultural Trail with language learning - Mdumbi to Port St Johns - Only 5 spaces available) - Apply NOW
- 4 - 15 December 2021 - Summer Retreat @Bulungula - Apply NOW
Sign up below for Early Bird Pricing and additional date announcements 2021